This weekend is all about helping others....and listening to great jazz music too. Downtown Media's 10th Annual Jazz By Night concert will bring music to many people's ears this weekend. But after you enjoy the music, think about helping out your neighbor. Lenni Heights Fire Co., along with several area fire companies, will collect donations for Hurricane Sandy relief. Friday is also the deadline to drop off food for the Plumstead's 2nd Annual Food Drive. So hurry and gather some donation items and help out your neighbors near and far.
Check out our best bets below for the activities to hit this weekend and early next week.
Jazz By Night Celebration
- When/Where: Saturday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m., W State St & S Plum St, Media
- Why Go: Enjoy the large live music selection at 19 of Media's downtown restaurants. All aspects of jazz—from traditional and classic to beebop and hard swing, and from avant-guard to nujazz—can be heard. Just a few of the artists featured include: Bootsie Barnes Quartet, Larry McKenna Trio with Tony Miceli & Kevin McConnell, Frank Bey, and Steve Green & the Elevators. Click here for a detailed line up and locations.
- Cost: $10
Lenni Heights Bonfire and Sandy Relief Collection
- When/Where: Saturday, Nov. 17 from 6 to 9 p.m. at
- Why Go: Gather your community and help out another by collecting items for victims of Hurricane Sandy. View a list of needed items here. The event is hosted by Delco Fire Rescue News and fire companies from around the county are involved.
- Cost: Free, but Sandy donations are welcome
Adult Literacy in Delaware County
- When/Where: Friday, Nov. 16, 8 to 10 a.m., at 117 Veterans Square in Media
- Why Go: Join this breakfast conversation to discuss why adult literacy services are so critical to Delaware County. Connect with other community leaders while learning about literacy services currently available.
- Cost: Free
Thanksgiving Food Drive
- When/Where: Ongoing Food Drive, ends Friday, Nov. 16, at Plumstead Inn, 26 W State St in Media
- Why Go: The 2nd Annual Food Drive benefits the Nativity BVM Parish. Frozen turkeys, canned goods and non-perishable items are needed.
- Cost: Free
Penncrest Band Craft Show
- When/Where: Saturday, Nov. 17, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Penncrest High School, 134 Barren Rd, Media
- Why Go: Kick off your holiday shopping and browse the wares of the more than 130 crafters, which benefit the high school band.
- Cost: Free