With the Christmas decorations gone, are you missing that color? Does that room feel a little empty? Well, it’s a brand new year…so, why not have some fun and shake things up by giving one or two rooms a bit of a makeover?
A fresh new look will help keep that New Year’s positive fresh outlook alive for everyone. Here are a few ideas:
- Re-arrange: What better time to re-arrange then after removing that Christmas tree? Don’t just put the furniture back the way it was. Try angling your larger furniture pieces. Maybe add an accent table or two. Or reupholster a chair. You might even consider transferring pieces from one room to another.
- Lighten. Brighten. De-Clutter: What a great word! Try clearing your rooms of excessive clutter – even consider downsizing your precious collections. Brighten your floors with a new area rug. Change out your window treatments to lighten your room. Add a few accent pillows to your furniture for a fresh new look.
- Change the palette: Wasn’t it colorful with those decorations? If you’re living in an all white or beige world, than nothing will spark your room’s makeover faster than color! Perhaps it’s just one simple accent wall painted a dramatic and exciting color. Maybe a new picture will find a new home over your fireplace mantle – adding color and spice to your family room. Replacing a worn area rug that’s seen better days with a new textured multi-colored area rug might “fit the bill” perfectly. Nothing adds more instantaneous drama and pizazz to you room’s entire décor more than color!
- Lighting: Unfortunately, improper and inadequate room lighting is very common. Few things can rekindle our spirits on a gray, rainy or snowy day like a home’s interior bathed in warm light. In fact, good artificial lighting is known to have such a positive effect on one’s moods, that some consider it preventive medicine. When developing a lighting plan, you first need to take stock of what types of activities you enjoy in each of the rooms that you consider making over.
- Refresh your accessories: A new lamp, or lampshade, might just brighten up one dark corner in your room. Add a few accent pillows to your furniture for a fresh new look. Perhaps a new piece of art – or the addition of an exciting piece of sculpture might just set the tone for a wonderful fresh room makeover. As you review those New Year’s Resolutions, why not consider breathing a little new life into your tired interior with some modest changes.