Just as quickly as the holiday season may have crept up on you, the days of bargain shopping, gift wrapping, and cookie baking are suddenly over. Now is the time we all get back into the swing of our normal routines and with that, many households are looking for ways to save money.
Now is a great time to take a look around your home and investigate what actions you can take to cut your energy costs. Simple changes can make a difference and save enough money to off-set the cost of turning up that thermostat.
- Turn it off: Why leave all the bedroom lights on when you're sitting in the living room? When you're done with a room turn out the lights. Finished using the computer? Shut it down. And if you're going on vacation, disconnect any item that is not a necessity.
- Power strips: Even if the TV isn't on, just having it plugged in drains energy. Look where you can plug electronics into a power strip and when those items are not in use, switch them off by using the switch on the power strip.
- Unplug chargers: Are you guilty of leaving your phone charger plugged in even when the phone isn't charging? Unplug it! From phones to laptops, these chargers are sucking up energy even when the device isn't connected. And be aware, when a device is charged, it still uses energy from the outlet.
- Wash clothes in cold water: Not only will cold water keep clothes just as clean as hot water, going cold will prevent colors from running and stains from setting in. All while using less energy than hot water.
- Choosing better light bulbs: Not only are they inexpensive, but LED bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs are easier on power than older bulbs. Updating your light bulb inventory is a bright idea.
- Appliances can be smart: Did you know many new household items have power-saving settings? Check your manuals and you'll be surprised by the difference a power saving option or programmed heat setting can make to your monthly bill.
Saving on your energy costs is easy when you take the time to make a difference in your home. Like my tips? You'll love what I can do as your Realtor®. Don't forget, if you or someone you know is planning on buying or selling a home, give me a call and I'll make your home ownership dreams come true.
Weichert, Realtors - Media
606 E. Baltimore Pike, Media, PA