As vacation season continues and the Labor Day holiday approaches the Pennsylvania State Police warn residents against becoming victims of burglary.
The Pennsylvania State Police have investigated numerous burglaries in Delaware County. Some of the burglars made a forced entry into the residences, but others doors or windows were unlocked, making the houses even easier targets.
The State Police have some recommendations not just for vacation-bound residents, but also for every day safety.
- Lock doors and windows of your homes and vehicles.
- If you are going away, even for a weekend, find a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your home.
- Ask a neighbor to collect your mail and any newspapers in your driveway.
- If anything at your home has a serial number, keep a record of it. Televisions and computers have serial numbers, but so do some bicycles.
- Photograph your valuables, such as jewelry, just in case.
- If you have a house alarm, please use it.
- Outside lighting can also be a deterrent to thieves.
- If you see any suspicious people or vehicles, please call 911.