Here we go again. We are just about to enter the minefield of fitness and nutrition obstacles that face us, starting with Halloween and taking us straight through the New Year. This time of year can be tricky, especially for those of us that are trying to get on track with our health and fitness. It's easy to just give in (or give up), or to get frustrated and overwhelmed when the choices get tougher and the temptations greater.
This year, start with a plan, realistic expectations and a clear vision of where you want to be, come January 1. Focus on relaxing, taking care of yourself, increasing energy and reducing stress. Here are some tips to help you conquer the 2012 Holiday season:
- Be realistic. Don't decide to start a weight loss plan now. Decide instead to maintain the routine and weight that you currently have. Commit to exercising for 20 minutes per day, instead of an hour. You'll be sure to get at least 20 minutes each day, without feeling disappointed if you do not complete an hour.
- Relax. The stress of family and busyness of the season can wear us out. Take time for you. Do something that makes you laugh, practice deep breathing and spend time outdoors.
- Create active traditions. Instead of hosting a dessert or cocktail party, why not plan an ice-skating event or touch football game? Get everyone moving!
- Moderation is key. We've all heard it. But it's true! Don't restrict yourself too much. Enjoy your holiday favorites in moderation so you don't feel deprived and overeat in the long run. The same applies to alcohol and caffeine.
- Drink water! Often the colder weather can cause us to drink less, but water can help counter the dehydrating effects of travel and alcohol consumption. It will also come in handy for reducing your appetite, ultimately helping you to eat less.
We also invite you to be part of our Holiday Survival BootCamp Challenge, designed to help you navigate the season and come out victorious! Stop by the Training Room to try out one of our Group Fitness classes for free, and to get more information. Our full schedule it posted on our website, www.peacethrustrength.com.
1440 Wallingford Road, Springfield PA